about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Friday, May 14, 2004

I guess I haven't posted about this, but I've been listening to Maroon5 years before anyone else heard about them. (Ahh, the advantages of listening to NU107.) The first time I heard "This Love" I was reminded of the Fine Young Cannibals, a 1980s act, and I was amazed by their other singles. I decided to buy the album---a cassette with a maroon cover and a sketch of a nude long-haired lady holding a musical Pandora's Box.

Now that they've been, ahem, "discovered" by MTV et al, I don't like what all this fame's done to them. I am appalled at groupie girls screaming for Maroon5 simply because lead singer Adam is poster-boy material, not because of the music. (A similar situation hounds Incubus and its front man Brandon Boyd.) The album cover's been changed to make them look like some sort of rock and roll princes (which they are NOT). Worse I just heard "This Love" being played on a noontime show, accompanied by the usual brainless dance routines it has everyday.

The same thing happened to John Mayer...

Ah well. The price of fame. If I don't like Maroon5's next album I can simply skip buying it.

Jack Black had a good point in "School of Rock." MTV tends to just destroy the purity of music and turns it into brainless mush repeated ad nauseam.
===

Woke up at noon today. That's a first.
===

My view on the elections still stands: Had the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) simply pushed through with the plan to automate the process, such complaints of electoral fraud, voter disenfranchisement and slow counting would have been greatly reduced.

I can't stomach how the COMELEC is washing its hands of its failures. It's constantly telling the public that slow counting and disenfranchisement are all their fault. Who on earth squandered billions of pesos of taxpayers' money on automated vote-counting machines that are now out of commission? They could have used those last Monday and saved all of us some unnecessary suspense on who won. Who on earth pushed through with an electronic voter registration program that ultimately resorted to moldy old voters' lists of yesteryear?

Sigh...let's keep things simple all right? Our national elections are a comparatively simple and straightforward exercise compared to those in the United States.
===

Tara called me up the other day. It seems plans are afoot for the Zen Clan's summer outing, just before school starts again on the 24th...and I heard Puerto Galera being mentioned. Cool.

It's been too long since I had a chance to be with all my blockmate friends without any obligations to fulfill in school. I certainly hope my schedule allows it.
===

New e-mail address by the way. I'm sick of Yahoo's worm-infested mail servers.

My new address is bluepiranha@gmail.com.

3 comments:

Kel Fabie said...

GMail is good. Really good. I have to slowly transfer my subscriptions to that address, though...

How're things for you? Hope you've been doing fine. I've been extremely busy, as you can tell.

JM said...

Hey Marc. Am fine so far. Just got started on shooting thesis, as you can read from the blog. :)

Kel Fabie said...

A film thesis or a photographic thesis. :) That's interesting.

Anyways, I'm still waiting for the schoolyear to begin before I can officially be employed...

Powered By Blogger