about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Friday, May 11, 2007

Garage barrage.

I drove up to our front gate this evening to see another new Honda adopted into our full garage. This time it's an FD1 Honda Civic 1.8V in the color I recommended, Habanero Red. Unfortunately it's not going to be mine; it's going to be my mom's new ride after ceding the 2002-model ZZE121 Toyota Corolla Altis to my sister.

That didn't stop me from sampling the new car for a bit, though. While all-new, the R18A i-VTEC engine sounds deliciously like my beloved SX8 City's D15B7 engine, with a similar metallic thrum and whine absent in my Jazz's gruffer L13A3 twin-spark lump. I set the driver's seat to my dimensions and sat in the back room, where it dispelled any notions of the spaciousness of my Jazz. There's just a lot more legroom back there. I gave a thumbs-up to the major controls, interior bits and integrated audio system, but a year after test-driving one, I'm still ambivalent about that broad dashboard which will take a lot of getting used to.

With this new development, this means I am driving the only car with a manual gearbox...and with the least amount of power. It's not much to complain about when you do 300 km to a half-tank, however. My, how my automotive priorities have changed...

The City is sitting in my mom's office parking lot, and my mom was telling us she got an offer to get it despite the dents and rust. For that car's sake, I sincerely hope the owner treats it well. It's been a dependable partner to me and a definite source of driving lessons and pleasure, no matter how old. My only regret is I didn't take care of it as religiously as I should have, but I'm sure it won't let its future owner down.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger