about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Chicane...finally!

Back in the halcyon days of 2000 when trance was still on heavy rotation in clubs, I found a few choice artists whom I'd eventually follow in the electronic music scene. The likes of Paul van Dyk, DJ Ferry Corsten (aka System F), William Orbit and ATB filled my consciousness.

By far the hardest to follow was Chicane, the alias of British writer/producer/DJ Nick Bracegirdle. Everyone else I mentioned had already released new material.

I managed to bag his phenomenal 2000 album "Behind the Sun" a long time ago, with the now-legendary collaborations "Saltwater" (with Maire Brennan) and "Don't Give Up" (with Bryan Adams), and a smattering of excellent ambient mood music. Since then I was unable to find any other works of his, past or present, apart from the odd mixed track of his in mixed Ministry of Sound CDs.

So you can imagine how lucky I felt when my manager friend Anton invited me over to his cubicle and said he'd burn me all his old Chicane MP3s on CD. (Many thanks man!)

Most of it includes stuff from the now-impossible-to-find 1997 debut album "Far from the Maddening Crowds," and even the live album "Chicane: Live at the Paladium."

Best news so far, though, is the announcement that Chicane is finally releasing a new album after seven years, with the current title "Somersault."

No comments:

Powered By Blogger