about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Irony on my sister's birthday

Since I still had the day off, my mom asked me to take Bianca to the Land Transportation Office (LTO) branch in Alabang to renew her driver's license. Over here, licenses expire on their holders' birthdays, and Bianx also turns 22 today, so greetings of "Happy Birthday" addressed to her are in order. Incidentally, my birthday is also coming up in a month's time and my own license due to expire, so I wanted to ask if and when I could renew mine as well.

We got there faced with a moderately long beeline. Upon handing over our licenses, Bianca was told she would have to go to the Las Pinas City Hall instead. Apparently her records weren't showing up on the LTO's computers. Meanwhile, my own renewal went without incident.

That was really odd, if you ask me. It seems the much-promoted computerization of the government offices isn't quite perfect yet, as evidenced by Bianca and other people being told to go elsewhere to renew their licenses. It was also ironic because the plan really was for Bianca to renew her license, not me, but I was the one who ended up successful.

Now my sister has to pay around PhP30 additional as penalty for renewing an expired license through no fault of her own. It doesn't seem like much, but hey, thirty bucks is thirty bucks. Then again, my sister had it easy; at least she was told from the outset she'd have to renew somewhere else. Other people in line had already paid for the medical and drug tests before they were told the ignominious news.

Lesson learned: Pinoys, renew your driver's license two months before the expiry date.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger