about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Monday, April 01, 2002

Whoops. It's been a full month since I last wrote anything in this little corner of mine. I never really noticed. Perhaps it was just all the ordinariness of life in college which I already tire of. I feel as if I'm right back in high school, stuck in the same old routine repeated everyday ad nauseam.

Whenever I get to visit my friend Pam Pastor's blog, I read about her and I turn a little jealous. Compared to my mundane existence, at the very least her life's a little more exciting to read about (if not more angsty and traumatic). I rather wonder why I never managed to break out of this irritatingly little bubble I feel squished inside of. I've always played life on the safe side even at this horrendously adverturous age that I am right now. It makes for smooth sailing most of the time but it's so goddamn fucking BORING!

I need a break. I need a big fucking dose of adventure. At least I think I'm gonna get that pretty soon when my family's month-long trip to South Pasadena pushes through later on this month.
---

Jake arrived March 13th. I'm surprised at how much he's changed. He's no longer the mischievous little imp I knew him eight years ago. He's actually amazing me at how much he's been able to accomplish.

He's turned a deep tan lately because of his work at Mountain View, a ski resort 150 miles from their Chino Hills home. According to him, Mountain View's pay's a lot better than what he used to get back as a manager at McDonald's. He's yet to enter college in September. And while I only race virtual Supras and Skyline GT-Rs in the PlayStation game Gran Turismo 2, he's already been modifying his 1980s Sentra and racing it. He quit it because it was too expensive though. Yeah right. At the buying power you enjoy? C'mon, Jake...

There's one thing he does like about the Philippines. "Do you know how expensive music CDs are back there?" he told me, on the subject of his purchase of a System of a Down CD.

I give a safe answer. "Nine, ten bucks?"

He shakes his head. "Twenty bucks, dude. It's expensive there!" Turns out it's more than twice our price.

He's only going to be here for a month and I haven't been able to take him out anywhere because of a multitude of hang-ups (he got sick for a while; Holy Week; my finals are coming up). I'm finally going to have the chance to show him around on Saturday. I haven't even decided on where exactly I'm going to take him. I just hope I don't screw it all up...
---

I got into my first vehicular accident the day after Jake arrived. Apparently I was too busy scoping my side mirrors for an empty spot in the left lane. I didn't notice my bumper was creeping dangerously close to the Space Wagon in front of me. I applied my brakes...not enough. Intending to avoid my brakes squeaking all over the gas station, I braked only halfway in.

I gotta learn how to leave myself enough distance to avoid such close calls next time...and I gotta find new brake pads! I hate having to hear my wheels squeak like hell.
---

Managed to snap up Hoobastank's new CD just before the Holy Week weekend. I've been totally addicted to it so far. I think it's rather unfair for them to be compared to Incubus as I've always heard over here. They have their own brand of music, a raucous yet unique mix of Incubus, Blink 182, Foo Fighters and the Offspring's sound. Two thumbs up.

Now I need a new CD Walkman.
---

When I thought of entering DLSU, I never thought my schoolyear would have to go on three whole weeks after everyone else starts enjoying the goddamned summer vacation. It's actually rather ridiculous. No matter how much DLSU prides itself on its trimestral system, it's really rather impractical to keep students locked in airconditioned classrooms on ridiculous overtime.

Worse, Comm Arts students like me don't get to reap the benefits of really important subjects where practical application of theory is important. Everything has to be crammed into 14 quick weeks. I'm getting rather irritated.
---

Well, that's my life so far. I'll make sure I won't have to wait another whole month before posting in my blog once again. I just hope I remember to exercise while I'm in the US. The last time I was there (1997), I gained a LOT of weight. American food sure is fattening compared to Pinoy food...

No comments:

Powered By Blogger