about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Friday, February 24, 2006

I know what you're thinking

I’ve been pondering about just how predictable people can actually be.

It’s surprising how often I can correctly finish other people’s sentences when I can discern their train of thought. All that’s necessary is to put in the caboose. Maybe it’s just that we’ve gotten all so cliched, everything we say is basically a repetition of what someone else has spoken some other time ago that only God knows when. If that were true, I can’t believe how boring and unoriginal we’ve all become.

Apply it to something else. “Discerning trains of thought” is something kidnappers and carnappers do very well. They’ll need that knowledge to know when exactly to strike, which is when you are simultaneously most vulnerable and most convinced there’s nothing out of the ordinary that will happen. It appears sticking to a predictable routine will land you into all sorts of trouble.

Funny it seems then that those who are free of predictability are either entrepreneurs or loonies. Go figure.
===

Too much of technology nowadays is an answer to a question no one asked.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger