about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Waiting for tomorrow

Today the new FD-series Civic was launched in the Philippine market. I have to say I’m rather excited about it, more so than the painfully bland ES-series of five years ago.

To date, what I know about the FD is that it comes with two four-cylinder engines: a brand-new 1.8-liter SOHC i-VTEC unit called the “R18A,” good for 140 BHP and good fuel economy; and the mainstay “K20A” 2.0L DOHC i-VTEC unit good for 155 BHP. Both engines are mated to either a 5-speed manual gearbox (hurray!) or a 5-speed automatic transmission with paddle-shifters as manual override. With the FD comes one of the most radical interiors I’ve ever seen on a car of its class, with a genuinely useful split dashboard. On sale now, it can be yours from PhP780,000 to a high of PhP1.1 million.

Like many Hondas of recent past, the only real nitpick I have on the FD is its rear styling. The brake lights are too big and round; they could have been stolen from a Chevy Impala.
===

My car now needs a fresh rear brake/park light. The right one seems to have burnt out its 21W filament. Add to that a new air filter and oil filter as part of my 60,000-kilometer periodic maintenance check.

I might as well take this chance to drop by the Honda dealership tomorrow and see the FD in the metal.
===

Speaking of tomorrow, Migs of MP is delivering me my next Gundam model kit, a 1/100 HG Gundam Airmaster Burst from “After War Gundam X.” It’s been 3 months since my last kit and I can’t wait.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger