about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Monday, January 28, 2002

It's been a while since I last posted. Gee, I never realized that I was so busy spending our Internet account on meaningless trash.
***

The great Mr. Isagani Cruz, my literature prof, told us to prepare any Filipino novel for our term paper (as long as the writer resided in Manila). I took F. Sionil Jose's Viajero. I read it over the weekend and I was riveted to the white book. I haven't finished it yet but I could well be done with it by tomorrow.

I can't help but think that Sionil Jose went overboard with his depictions of sexual encounters. Not that they were very graphic, and certainly not that sex is what his entire novel is about, mind you (we have a very conservative Filipino readership here). It's just that sometimes sex pops up in the plot for no apparent reason. Hmmm.
***

Last Tuesday I was at Glorietta again. I managed to leave the plave PhP500 poorer. Just because of my goddamned addiction to Percussion Freaks 4th Mix...!

But seriously, I went there primarily to buy my presents for my Zen friends Anna and Leslie. (A lot of my blockmates share my birthmonth.) After I bought the goods I went to the food court, had grilled chicken paella and left. It was not until much later that I realized I had left the bag of gifts back at the food court.

Sprinting from Glorietta 2 to Glorietta 4 as fast as I could, I was relieved to see that the dining family next to my table had my shopping bag with them. Panting, I asked about the bag that may have been mine. They recognized me and said that it was indeed mine. I thanked them profusely.

With crime, robbery and kidnapping at an all-time high here in the Philippines, it's nice to know that there still exist good-hearted Filipino strangers.
***

I am beginning to hate my third term at DLSU. We've got some of the worst, most boring professors. My blockmates find it hard to stay awake during GENPSYC (General Psychology) and BIOARTS (Biology Lecture). As for me, I simply stay awake --- much as I detest forcing myself to do so --- because I feel so sorry for these boring individuals, whom we have to put up with in order for them to get their pay.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger