about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Saturday, February 10, 2007

A lazy Saturday

Session 2 of the Chorale Singing workshop had us reviewing our high school music lessons, from staves and notes to rests and slurs. It felt like it was going to be boring at first, but it was all preparation for learning how to sight-read musical notes to be able to sing them correctly. The boredom ceased when we got to experience the real thing. This was a lot harder than I thought!

After the class I ambled around Glorietta. An acquaintance told me about the new Battle Gear 4: Tuned machines at Timezone, and I wanted to ask around about the Nokia 5300 once again, this time over its accessories. Strangely enough, I didn't find myself all that interested in getting behind the wheel of Battle Gear 4, and as excited as I was about the 5300, I decided I've had too many luxuries for one month and that it should wait. At least now I know where I can get the 5300, its fancy Bluetooth headphones and a 1GB microSD card for PhP15,000.

The Jazz amazed me again when I drove home. Despite the artificial steering, I can't fault that it'll corner the C5 offramp to SLEX at an unbelievable 80 km/h. The chassis is that good. My City makes that turn at 65 km/h before hinting that it may be too much for its aging chassis.


When I got home I took out the vacuum cleaner and cleaned the Jazz. I got rid of the cheesy mock-leather seat covers, as they just hid dirt and I never really liked them anyway. Out went the carpets, too, although I made the boo-boo of forgetting to put them back in before I left. Apparently I had made them a potential target for Cooper, Tango and Chico's urine. The new Daewoo wet/dry vacuum cleaner was ridiculously powerful compared to our old Electrolux one from the 1980s, and so made cleaning a lot easier.

I still can't believe how filthy the Jazz had become in the past couple of years. Folding up the rear seats, I saw a lot of crumbs and dust that had laid there since God-knows-when. I even found a PhP1 coin underneath the seat covers of the driver's seat. To add insult to injury, the rear center seatbelt buckle apparently got crushed, and the retaining floor bracket for one of the folding rear seats had folded up itself. The previous owner must have been a real slob. I may drive the nuts off my cars, but you can never say I'm anywhere near slovenly when it comes to their interiors.

I wish I could stop there, but even the exterior isn't without its woes. To my chagrin, I found two little spots of rust. Why is there rust on a two-year-old car?! Sadly this is something even the newfangled wet/dry vac can't fix. All I can say is this car is lucky it has me as its owner now.


After mass we went to Matthew's house for his birthday party. It was nice having all the SVMM people around, and I stayed long enough to meet Tyff, the girl he was always talking about in all those surveys. Her boyfriend Robin was quite the trivia buff, and we were exchanging little trivia quips back and forth over glasses of gin-pomelo and brandy.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger