about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Tuesday, February 11, 2003

"Happy birthday to me!"
---

Just as I thought no one usually remembers my birthday, people left and right have been greeting me on my twentieth year alive. Must be due to the birthday functions on the boards, but it's still a nice feeling being greeted. Way better than thinking that no one cares, at least.

Got some birthday presents too. Pam gave me some stuff she brought from her Singapore trip not too long ago: a bracelet, a scented plush cow and boxers. Mom gave me a pair of stonewashed denim jeans and a leather belt. Coolest gift so far came from my dad: a Victorinox original "SwissChamp" Swiss Army Knife. I've been destroying my fingernails from prying open and playing with all the gadgets.

Lunch was an affair with OB friends Noel and Voltz at Liy Ming's.

So far, so nice.
---

An old accounting classmate of mine came up to me while I was reading the latest issue of The LaSallian the other day.

He started off at an awkward greeting, but increased his confidence when the topic changed to religion. He suddenly talked about God, Jesus and him being the only way to salvation, the fallacy of purgatory...other such religious stuff.

Honestly I don't like it when people dictate to me what I should think or believe. I have nothing against born-again Christians, but please don't force your beliefs on me because you'll only alienate people like me from your original aims. I am already an outspoken critic of the Catholic Church; don't make me a critic of your own faith. People have brains and free will; please respect that, dammit.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger