about the talking fish

My photo
Writer. Wheelman. Occasional DIY mechanic. Walking collection of hang-ups. Hopeless romantic. Old-school. Analog soul in a digital world. I am all of these things and more.

Sunday, August 12, 2007

The first review

It's that time of the year when everyone gets to talk with their manager and find out just how well they did...and if they've been seen fit to be promoted or given a salary increase come September.

As Robert is currently in the UK and very busy with work, we were all asked to call him in his morning hours before the floodgates of hell, er, his work, open. My turn came last Thursday.

He told me it was particularly tough to get recognized this year as my peers in my level are very good (and I can attest to that). However I still performed well enough to be given a favorable rating, which means that by next month I'll be "progressed" to the next level.

It's good news, yes. But somehow I feel it's a hollow victory. It's only going to get tougher from here on in and I've heard stories about how difficult it is to get promoted once again---and here I was, naively thinking I'd get there by November 2008.

This is where I feel the struggle begins. No doubt there will be a few toes that will be stepped on as everyone targets that promotion to the next higher level. I know it's all about respect but let's be honest, things can get cutthroat when a promotion is on the cards.

We will see.

No comments:

Powered By Blogger